- established a 2 acre demonstration farm
- trained 300 smallholder farmers in smart organic farming
- distributed vegetable seedlings to all trained farmers
- improved farming practices and boosted food security in poor families
- introduced smart organic farming which involves recycling plastics bags, old car tyres and plastic bottles and turn them into garden materials
What challenges did or does your project face?
- limited funds limiting our expansion of the project to other communities
- drought which affect the vegetables at the farm
- theft of farm outputs
- negative attitude by the community towards our model of farming
How are you working to overcome them?
- we are charging a small fees to trainees for seedlings
- we are practice irrigation at the community garden to overcome drought
- we recruited a care taker at the garden to provide full time security
- aggressive education and sensitization of villagers about the financial, environmental and health benefits of smart organic farming
What did you or your project learn this season that might be useful to others as well?
- engaging in the growing of a variety of crops at the farm
- being innovative in farming
- embracing change