in this season pearl community garden trained over 100 youth and women farmers in smart farming system where they were trained and learnt improved farming practices, introduction of quality seeds, the use of organic farm inputs such fertilizer and pesticides to conserve the environment.
What challenges did or does your project face?
The main challenges that the project face are;
- limited funds to set up other community garden demonstration sites ans purchase of farm inputs used for training
- drought is also a problem due lack of water source and irrigation requirements such as water pumps to water the crops to ensure continuous production and training throughout the year
- land is also too small to accommodate a good number of people for training per season
How are you working to overcome them?
- To raise some funds the organization charges a small amount of $2.5 from farmers who come for training to ensure project sustainability
- To overcome drought the staff have embraced water harvesting during rainy season and use of manual watering system by use of watering cans.
- The issue of land, the project utilizes the small piece of land it has by partition it through creating small plots for vegetable growing.
What did you or your project learn this season that might be useful to others as well?
I/we learn that, community members should be trained and encouraged to have home gardens as they are source of food and income generation. we also learnt that youth should be empowered so that they start social initiatives to bring social impact in their respective communities as the founder of Pearl Entrepreneurs Academy Elvis Kadhama did as this is the only way of achieving the UN 17 sustainable development goals.