This is 2nd year of no-till garden and growth has been steady. We were able to purchase a storage building to keep all tools on-site and establish volunteer composting program. Harvests in 2018 have gone to food pantries in Broken Arrow and Tulsa as well as single parent families within our church. Volunteers have increased from last year and we are in a consistent schedule of tending and harvesting.
What challenges did or does your project face?
1) Rabbits were the first challenge of the spring as they ate 500+ cabbage and broccoli plants.
2) The Spring weather brought several freezes which resulted in needing to cover plants to save from frost.
3) Ongoing challenge this year has been battling pests while trying to not use pesticides.
How are you working to overcome them?
1) We installed chicken-wire barrier around the perimeter of the garden fence to remedy the rabbit situation.
2) Used plastic to cover tender vegetation to protect from frost
3) We are using beneficial companion plants and non-toxic, organic soap sprays with limited success
What did you or your project learn this season that might be useful to others as well?
Ongoing communication with volunteers and promoting the mission is so important.